Friday, June 3, 2011

A Chicken Salad Sandwich

You might say that I TEST chicken salad sandwiches. At least I try out new ones every chance I get. When I go to a restaurant for lunch, I will usually order a chicken salad sandwich if it is on the menu. Sometimes my sister and I will order chicken salad sandwiches, then try to analyze the ingredients by taste. I have made my own chicken salad sandwiches many times, but I'm forever on a quest for that EXACT combination of ingredients that makes the PERFECT sandwich. Well, today I made chicken salad sandwiches again, and I think they're the best yet. Not that I'll quit testing and tasting every chance I get, but I think this recipe is a real keeper. It's one that I put together by trial and error. And by the way, if anyone has a really good chicken salad sandwich recipe, I'll be happy to test it for you. Here's the version that I made today.





 
Chicken Salad Sandwich

1 can (13 ounces) chicken breast, drained
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted

This recipe starts out simple because it begins with canned chicken.


I've tried cooking my own chicken for chicken salad, but this canned chicken works very well.


Drain the liquid from the can of chicken, and place the chicken on a cutting board.


The chicken comes out of the can pretty chunky and needs some chopping.



Chop the chicken finely.



Next I used celery, green onions, and toasted pecans. These ingredients give the chicken salad its crunch.



Finely chop 1/2 cup each of the celery and the green onions.



Combine the celery, onions, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and chicken in a medium bowl; mix well.



This next group of ingredients will make a creamy dressing for the chicken.


I used 4 ounces of softened cream cheese.


Combine cream cheese with 1/2 cup mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice; mix well.


Add mayonnaise mixture to chicken; stir until well combined.



Add toasted pecans, stir until blended.


The chicken salad is completed, but now there is the decision of what kind of bread to use to make the sandwich. Restaurants serve chicken salad sandwiches on a variety of breads - white bread, wheat bread, toasted bread, sub rolls, and my very favorite - croissants. So that's what I made my sandwich on today.



Chicken salad sandwiches are my idea of a perfect lunch. I'd love to hear from you if you try this recipe.




No comments:

Post a Comment