7/5/11

Strawberry Pie

Today's dessert is Strawberry Pie. All the steps in this recipe are easy, except for the part about waiting until it cools off to put it all together so you can eat it. I hurried up the process and put mine in the freezer for a little while to speed up the cooling.



Strawberry Pie

1 baked pastry shell
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
A few drops red food coloring
2 cups sliced strawberries
1 (8 ounce) tub Cool Whip or other whipped topping of choice

To start we need a baked pastry shell. This can be a store bought one, or a home-baked one.


Bake the crust according to directions; let cool.

Next, we need 1 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 3 tablespoons cornstarch.


Whisk these ingredients together in a medium saucepan.


The next ingredients are 1 cup water and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.


Add these to the sugar mixture, then cook until thickened and clear, stirring constantly.


When done, add a few drops red food coloring.


Mix well, and allow to cool.


This where I got impatient and put mine in the freezer to cool, stirring occasionally.


In the meantime, prepare 2 cups of sliced strawberries.


When the filling is finally cool, combine with the sliced strawberries.


Pour filling into cooled, prepared crust.


Now, the old recipe in my three-ring binder says to top with Cool Whip, and that's how my mother always made this pie.

I really prefer to just refrigerate the pie and leave the topping off, though. I like to add the topping as I serve the pie.


This kind goes well with refrigerated pies like the Strawberry Pie. I guess really what I'm saying is - this pie goes well with whatever whipped topping you like.


I really should have made two pies, this one is not going to last long.



2 comments:

  1. This pie looks so good. I'm trying to improve my pie crust skills, this looks like a perfect filling.
    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up to Sharing Sundays. Your pie will be one of the featured recipes this week!!

    Ellen

    http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete