Friday, August 5, 2011

Blueberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake

If I'm going to use all the blueberries that I have in my freezer from the Texas Blueberry Festival, I need to bake something with blueberries at least once a week. Not that I mind doing that, because I love anything with blueberries, and this pound cake is just one of the many yummy ways blueberries can be prepared.




The original source of my recipe is the Favorite Brand Name Cake Mix Cookbook. I love this cookbook because the recipes start with a mix, but add ingredients that give what you're baking a homemade taste.



 


Blueberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake

1 package (16 ounces) pound cake mix, divided
1 1/2 cups blueberries
1/2 cup (4 ounces) cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
Powdered sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan or a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Place 1/4 cup dry cake mix in a medium bowl. Add blueberries; toss until well coated, set aside.
Beat cream cheese in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed for 1 minute or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add remaining cake mix alternately with milk, beginning and ending with cake mix, beating well after each addition. Beat 1 minute on medium speed or until light and fluffy. Remove from mixer and fold blueberry mixture into batter. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
Bake 55 to 60 minutes if using a loaf pan, or 45 to 50 minutes in a bundt pan, or until a pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely. Lightly sprinkle top with powdered sugar, if desired.

The fun part of this cake is that is starts with a pound cake mix.



Use 1/4 cup of the dry cake mix as a coating for the blueberries.




The original recipe called for a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, but I always bake this cake in a bundt pan because I like the way it looks. Pour the batter in the pan you have prepared.


When cake tests done, cool in the pan for 10 minutes.


Remove from pan and let cool.




Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired. The cream cheese and blueberries combined with the pound cake mix make this an excellent cake.



5 comments:

  1. I love blueberries. They don't grow in Utah so my
    main blueberry supplier is Costco. Still delicious. I like blueberries in most anything. Fun recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got blueberries and this cake is one that my husband would love. Me too. I am printing it up now and hoping to get to it, during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I return to tell you, this recipe is being featured tomorro --oops, that is today.

    Come on over and visit and please do bring another recipe, if you would like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pound cake - this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete