10/27/11

Chocolate Cream Pie

This is the same Chocolate Cream Pie that I have been making since I got my first cookbook as a bride. The recipe has only been slightly adapted over the years from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook (published 1965). We loved this Chocolate Cream Pie then, and we still love it today.







Chocolate Cream Pie
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa 
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
3 slightly beaten egg yolks
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (9-inch) baked pastry shell

In a double boiler, combine sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. Cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return to hot mixture; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla; cool to room temperature. To prevent a crust from forming, put clear plastic wrap directly on top, touching surface of the hot pudding to the sides of the bowl. When cooled, pour into baked pastry shell.

Meringue 
Beat 3 egg whites with 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until soft peaks form. Gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar, beating until stiff peaks form and all sugar is dissolved. Spread atop pie, sealing to pastry. Bake in moderate oven, 350 degrees F, about 12 to 15 minutes, or until meringue is golden. Cool.


I started by baking a single crust pie shell using My Mother's Pie Crust recipe.


It is best to cook cream pies like this in a double boiler because it is very easy to scorch the milk and sugar mixture.



Stir some of the chocolate mixture into the egg yolks before adding them to the hot mixture.



After the cooked mixture has cooled, pour it into the baked pie shell.



Top the chocolate filling with meringue.



Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 - 15 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool before serving.








10 comments:

  1. Yes, please. I'd like a great big slice of that! Looks like a perfect rendition of a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Senid some my way too, looks yummy I have it bookmarked to try !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that same cookbook, Anita! You should see my copy...it's old & tattered looking. Your pie looks wonderful...wish I had a piece right now & sharing it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I'm kind of wanting this right now for breakfast! Is that bad??? Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm drooling! This looks just like a pie from my favorite restaurant. Scrummy!
    Not Your Ordinary Agent
    Not Your Ordinary Recipes
    Clean Gal Thank you for linking to Foodie Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A slice of heaven is what I would name this! It looks divine.

    Thanks for visiting me at A Season for All Things. I'm your newest follower and look forward to finding more terrific recipes and ideas. ~ Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so pretty. I love chocolate cream pie. I've never made a custard with eggs, but you make it look easy. Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I'm going to attempt to make some pies this weekend. I'm hoping for the best. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate cream is my absolute favorite! Yum!

    ReplyDelete