10/18/11

Lemon Pecan Tea Bread

This recipe for Lemon Pecan Tea Bread is from Totally Lemons Cookbook. It's one of those fun little themed cookbooks that not only has some great recipes, it also is good reading because it has facts about the history of lemons, tips on uses for lemon juice, and some quotes about lemons. One quote I liked from the book was:

"A modern kitchen without a lemon in it is gravely ill-equipped."
-Margaret Visser from Much Depends on Dinner








Lemon Pecan Tea Bread

Bread
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/2 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans

Topping
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
Pecan halves for decorating

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour or use cooking spray to prepare a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
Beat butter in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Gradually add sugar, beating until light. Beat in eggs. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Sprinkle about half of flour mixture over butter mixture and gently beat until blended.
In a separate bowl, combine vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Beat half of liquid mixture into batter. Add remaining dry ingredients and liquid and beat into batter to blend well. Stir in chopped nuts. Pour into prepared pan. Bake about 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack 10 minutes, then turn bread out and cool completely. 
To make the topping, in a small bowl combine powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Stir until smooth. Decorate loaf top with pecan halves. Pour topping over cooled loaf.


The recipe calls for a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, but I have a new Wilton petite loaf pan that I just couldn't wait to use. I prepared the pan by spraying it with cooking spray.


The batter filled the 9 petite loaves just perfectly.


Because I changed the pan size from the recipe, I had to adjust the baking time. These petite loaves baked in 23 minutes.



If you are a lemon-lover, you need to try this Lemon Pecan Tea Bread. I absolutely love it, and I like the way the petite loaves turned out. I think this bread would be a good choice to serve for brunch or with afternoon tea.


14 comments:

  1. I love lemon! Your cute little loaves are adorable! I need to check out that pan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little loaf pan is wonderful!! They're almost like muffin size, aren't they? The bread looks fabulous & your pic is so pretty. can be fixed. I wish I had one right now after the day I had!!! Taking my darling granddaughter home, a 20-ish year-old driver pulls out of a side street & rams right into us. Thankfully we are okay!! My car was towed away, but that can be fixed. I guess I just needed to vent right now, Anita!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saved this recipe to try. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The petite loaves look adorable and practical. What a great idea. We love anything lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Anita,
    I just love a tea bread and this recipe looks wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG - these look so delicious and wonderful
    and I actually love almost everything with lemon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the whole pecans on top - beautiful! This bread looks and sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh man!! This looks amazing!! Thanks for sharing!
    Jade C. @ Effie's Recipe Box

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great recipe and they look so pretty-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Lemon...yummy. :) Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy bread! And I totally covet that pan!

    Thanks for linking up to Friday Food on Momtrends.com!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you will have a great week and enjoy your new Red Plate!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anita, I have been browsing your "lemon" recipes section...I am so ready for spring, and these little loaves sound like exactly what I've been craving! :) Love that little pan, too!
    ~Joy from Yesterfood

    ReplyDelete