11/27/11

Hash Brown Potato Casserole

Everyone at my house has a favorite dish for the holidays. This Hash Brown Potato Casserole has been my daughter Susan's favorite for a number of years. She doesn't care what else I make as long as this is part of the menu. This casserole is really easy to make, so there's no reason to save it just for holidays.











Hash Brown Potato Casserole
1 (30 ounce) package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 (8 ounce) package shredded cheddar cheese

Topping
2 cups crushed corn flakes
1/2 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place thawed hash brown potatoes in prepared dish. In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, melted butter, soup, chopped onion, salt, pepper, and cheese; stir until blended. Pour mixture over potatoes; mix slightly. 
For topping, mix crushed corn flakes with melted butter and layer over top of potato mixture. Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes.


Place thawed hash brown potatoes in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.

Pour the mixture of ingredients over the hash browns.

Mix all slightly with the potatoes.

Combine the melted butter and crushed corn flakes for a topping.

Spread corn flake mixture in a layer over the casserole, then bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes.


This casserole is a side dish that goes well with ham, turkey, or any other meat you might be serving.

11 comments:

  1. I make a similar casserole. I don't put the topping on it. I also use 1 Tablespoon of Worchestershire sauce in the ingredients. Just gives it a bit of a zip, 16 oz carton of lowfat sour cream and the cubed hashbrowns. I call it the funeral casserole because for a while, it seemed that I was taking it to so many for the after-funeral-meal. It is a required dish for most of our family gatherings.
    Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I would eat this entire dish! It looks wonderful. Excellent comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe is one of our families very favorites!! You just can't beat it!! We love it on Christmas morning for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe is so delicious, I know because my family makes a very similar one, and we just love it!!

    Thanks for sharing with Newlyweds Recipe Linky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anita, I just made this tonight for dinner. It is excellent. I think I am going to take the first bus out of town, come and visit and check out your cookbooks. I also made the Ranch chicken and excellent also. a keeper for me and the hubby. I will be posting both on my page soon. You are good, a good little cooker. I have tried 3 recipes from your blog and impressed with all three. Pick me up at the station please.........great post. Thank you very much andi

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks yummy and perfectfor brunch. We have a wonderful, easy hot sausage dip today. Come visit and check it out. Please be sure to visit us on Friday 12/2 and register to win our wonderful giveaway from the Shabby Apple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a great cook and baker. I am a fan of hash browns and would love to make this. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anita,
    I just love this casserole recipe, it is always a winner. Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh now I am seriously starving! Thanks for another great link, Anita.

    ReplyDelete