11/19/11

White Chocolate Lemon Streusel Bars

White chocolate chips, fresh lemon juice, and toasted pecans combine for a blast of flavor in these yummy treats. This recipe adapted from the Hershey's Recipe Collection cookbook is one all lemon-lovers will want to add to their treasury of lemon recipes.









White Chocolate Lemon Streusel Bars
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 cups (12 ounce package) white chocolate chips, divided
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
3/4 cup toasted pecans
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon shortening

To toast pecans: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread pecans in a thin layer on a shallow baking pan. Bake for 7 - 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until golden brown.

For bars: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9 x 13-inch baking dish by lightly greasing. In a medium bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest; set aside. Measure out 1/4 cup and 1/3 cup white chips; set aside. Add remaining white chips to lemon mixture.
Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar together until well blended. Stir together flour, oats, pecans, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture, blending well. Set aside 1 2/3 cups of butter/oats mixture. Add egg to remaining oats mixture, blending until crumbly; press onto bottom of prepared pan. Gently spoon lemon mixture on top, spreading evenly. Add reserved 1/3 cup white chips to reserved oats mixture. sprinkle over lemon layer pressing down lightly.
Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan on wire rack. Place remaining 1/4 cup white chips and shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50% power) 30 seconds or until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Drizzle over baked bars. Allow drizzle to set; cut into bars.


Some ingredients you will need for these White Chocolate Lemon Streusel Bars are sweetened condensed milk, quick cooking oats, white chocolate chips, and fresh lemons.


These bars are made in three layers - a crust layer, a filling layer, and a streusel layer.


Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.


Make an icing drizzle from white chips and shortening for the top of the bars. I had to use a little more shortening than the recipe indicated to get my chips thin enough to drizzle.

These White Chocolate Lemon Streusel Bars are sweet and lemony with that wonderful added flavor of toasted pecans.



15 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely amazing! I'm always looking for new bar-type baking ideas, and this looks so good! What's better than white chocolate, lemon and pecans?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if it's got chocolate I like it, and lemon is about the only cake I crave other than chocolate.....those bars sound like a winnter to me! I'm allergic to pecans, but I'm sure walnuts could easily be used in that recipe instead. Thanks for passing it along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing! I am drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so hungry for these! They are right up my sweet tooth alley! Oh my goodness! Thanks for joining ON THE MENU MONDAY. So many readers will love this recipe. Thanks too for being such a faithful participant and for supporting OTMM!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super scrumptious - I'd love some right now!! I'm going to save this recipe - thanks for sharing it.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmm, these sound & look wonderful!! They are perfect for lemon lovers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy, this looks good! I need a better adjective here. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love for you to share it at bacon time too. I love anythng with streusel :)The linky is fri-monday.
    I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Please stop by Bacon Time to enter my epic 66 Etsy shop giveaway for Breaking Dawn.
    http://www.bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! Your bars look heavenly!!! What a great combination of flavors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sound wonderful, A happy thanksgiving to you and your family. andi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anita,
    I just love the flavor combination for this recipe, I wish I had a nice slice to go with my afternoon tea. Hope you are having a great holiday week end. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you will come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, I love how white chocolate and lemon go together. Delicious! Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooooooooh I have made the Hershey recipe of this, and they are AMAZING! Yours look GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, love this, you can't go wrong with chocolate and lemon!

    Thanks for linking up to Friday Food on Momtrends.com!

    ReplyDelete