Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cream Cheese Jalapeño Sausage Pinwheels

These sausage pinwheels are a versatile dish that can be served as a tasty appetizer or as breakfast on their own or paired with eggs. I love recipes that make use of crescent roll dough, and I know many people make one version or another of these pinwheels. The recipe that I'm using is one that my sister first gave me, and I think my husband would be happy if I made these every day.








Cream Cheese Jalapeño Sausage Pinwheels
1 pound pork sausage
1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 package crescent roll dough

In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until browned, adding the jalapeño pepper to the sausage while it is cooking. Drain the grease from the sausage, then add the cream cheese. Stir over very low heat until the cream cheese is blended into the sausage. Spread the crescent roll dough out on a sheet of parchment paper, sealing the perforations and seams together so that the dough is in one rectangular sheet. Spread the sausage/cream cheese mixture over the crescent dough in a thin, even layer. Start rolling the dough up lengthwise, very carefully in one long roll. Refrigerate the roll for 20 - 30 minutes, or stick it in the freezer for a short while, this will make it easier to slice. 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a sheet pan by lining with aluminum foil and spraying with cooking spray. Slice the roll into sections about 1/2 inch thick, place the slices on the prepared pan. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until the crescent dough is browned.

 

This recipe is simple, requiring only sausage, jalapeño pepper, cream cheese, and crescent roll dough.



Flatten the crescent roll dough out into one flat sheet and seal up the perforations.



 

Spread the sausage/cream cheese mixture in a thin layer over the dough.

 

Roll the dough up to form the pinwheels.


 
Refrigerate the dough after it is rolled to make the slicing easier.



Slice into pinwheels and place on a foil lined sheet pan.
 
Bake for 12 - 15 minutes.




I love the kick that the jalapeño pepper adds to these pinwheels. You could also use hot sausage if you wanted to turn up the heat another notch.



26 comments:

  1. Oh - I bet these are so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...what a great addition to my breakfast recipes! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a wimp when it comes to jalapeños. I can go the hot sausage and I will eat most anything that has cream cheese on/with it! Thanks for the recipe.
    Beckie in Brentwood, TN

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my guys would like this every day too. Hubby's favorite breakfast is biscuits and gravy, so he would like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Boy! I will be making these soon! Thanks for sharing! Stopping by from Mix it up Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from Mop It Up Mondays! http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hubby would love these too! Lately, I've been trying hot things more, so I would try them too! I love that it's just 4 ingredients! Quick & easy is my favorite kind of recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious! sadly we don't have crescent roll dough here which is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound so yummy, Anita! My husband grows jalapenos in the garden, so I will be sure to give these a try this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness that looks delicious!!! I HAVE to try it! Thanks so much for sharing!
    -april

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anita,
    Hello!
    What a yummy looking recipe!!
    Thanks so much for your visit and very kind words!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look so pretty and yet easy to make

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! This will be on our menu soon... Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this recipe at the party. I have made these many times but not with the pepper and cream cheese. Next time I will add the cream cheese but I'm not a fan of the peppers. Sounds like your recipe is better than mine but I'm not jealous. Heehee.-------- Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jalepenos aren't for me but I do like and have on hand Jimmy's Dean's hot sausage and that's just right for me so maybe I would use that. They look yummy and I might be having company for Easter so wouldn't that be great as an hors d'oeuvre or as a side to breakfast like you said. I could use green chillies for color instead of the jalapeno. As always.....looks like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My family would love this, Anita. They all love spicy things, too. I'm with you on liking to use crescent rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Yum! I am so going to have to make these! easy and delish- my kind of dish! Thank you! I am a new follower! So excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Anita I think I need to make these pinwheels. Thanks andi

    PS having a gathering this w/e and I am going to make your Ranch potato casserole along with a baked ham. andi

    ReplyDelete
  19. My husband would be pretty thrilled if I made these pinwheels too. Thanks for sharing at our party this week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't have long to comment cause' I have to go make these...Yum! I'm glad I found your blog at The Shady Porch party. I'm a new follower too, so I can keep in touch. I would love if you stopped by and followed back on LF and GFC. Nice to meet you, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anita, These Pinwheels will be a big hit here with my group, they will love these little treats. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  22. We made these this weekend. They are great! We will definitely be making these again. Wish we could find the seamless cresent rolls around here.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made these a few weeks ago and what a hit!!! I was lucky I grabbed a few before they disappeared! I plan on featuring them on my blog soon and I will be sure to link back to you! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  24. nice idea.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can I make this the night before and freeze it over night and cook it in the morning?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cream cheese and Jalapeno peppers are a great combination! Jalapeno pepper really adds heat and flavor to every dish. Well, this looks so good, huh! Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe. My wife would definitely love to try this one. It will surely taste delicious!

    ReplyDelete