3/11/12

Pistachio Cupcakes for St. Patrick's Day

If you are looking for a green treat to celebrate St. Patrick's Day this week, these Pistachio Cupcakes are just what you need. The cupcake recipe is from Taste of Home, and they are topped with a delicious Cream Cheese Frosting with a 5 star rating from the Food Network site.


 


Pistachio Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 package (3.4 ounces) instant pistachio pudding mix
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups 2% milk
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a muffin pan by lining with cupcake papers. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, pudding mix, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture; stir until blended. Fill prepared cupcake papers three-fourths full with batter. Bake in preheated oven for 18 - 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pan to continue cooling on a wire rack. Makes 12 cupcakes.

Cream Cheese Frosting
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Green food coloring, optional (I used Wilton leaf green)
Sprinkles, optional

In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time; beat on low speed until blended. Add vanilla extract, then beat in food coloring, if desired. Frost tops of cooled cupcakes and decorate with sprinkles.

 
The instant pistachio pudding mix adds both an interesting flavor and a green color to the cupcakes.



 

Fill the paper cups about 3/4 full with batter.


 

Bake for 18 - 22 minutes



 


I tinted my cream cheese frosting with a little food coloring  and topped them with sprinkles to carry out the St. Patrick's Day theme.




These cupcakes are a yummy treat. The pistachio pudding gives them a nice flavor, and the cream cheese frosting would be a good topping on most any kind of cupcake.



19 comments:

  1. Oh my! These look delicious! I'd love it if you'd share these at Whimsy Wednesdays at www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/03/whimsy-wednesdays-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so cute! I used to LOVE instant pistachio pudding when I was a kid, I'm definitely making this for my kids this weekend. -Kelly @ Semi Homemade Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound great and look very festive-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking cupcakes. I bet they are good, too! Back in the late 70's, I use to make a chocolate and pistachio bundt cake. I bet this cupcakes would be tasty with mini chocolate chips.
    Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my...so yummy! thank you for another wonderful treat to bake. I made your hummingbird bundt cake and have posted about it and linked back to your hummingbird bundt cake Post.
    Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a fun recipe to make with my grand kids. Perfect for the Green Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum!! And also YAY!!!

    I so needed something new to make for SPD festivities and you just shared an awesome idea, thank you!

    They look soooooooooooooo good, I love pistachio flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look really good! I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're both thinking pistachio this week, Anita!! Your cupcakes look wonderful. Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yummy, I love pistachio!!! And these are just too cute! I pinned this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmmmj pistachios, my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love pistachio and the light green color is so pretty for these cupcakes. Perfectly green for St. Patty's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So love that you added pistachio! These look so fun and yummy! Thanks for joining the party. I am pinning and tweeting this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for adding these delicious looking cupcakes to the blog ceawl, Anita!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just got back from out of town and I swore I was getting back on my diet! This recipe just might make a liar out of me! LOL!

    Diana
    Diana Rambles
    Bento Blog Network

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you shared these at Whimsy Wednesdays. They definitely inspired me. I look forward to seeing what you share this week.

    ReplyDelete