My dryer has one of these lint filters in the front when you open the door. I clean it out every time I put in a load of clothes. There are few other things that I am this on the ball about, but I do keep the lint filter cleaned out. When I cleaned it out one day this week, I noticed that underneath the filter I could see a lot of lint down in the dryer wall.
So I got my handy, dandy long brush tool and started brushing it out. That's when I realized there was really a lot of lint in there.
I pulled the dryer out from the wall and checked inside the vent hose at the back. It was almost completely full of lint. I brushed and vacuumed and cleaned it out, and was totally disgusted with the whole mess.
THIS is what I sucked out of my dryer. Unbelievable. How bad does it have to get to start a fire? I always thought that if I was keeping my lint filter clean, then everything was fine with the dryer. I hope no one else has a lint build-up like mine, but please check just to be on the safe side. A house fire would be a very bad thing.