Sunday, June 24, 2012

Something for the Bucket List - Touring P. Allen Smith's home

I have never actually made myself a "bucket list" but if I did, visiting Moss Mountain Farm would definitely be an item on my list, and I could now check it off as done! I had the most wonderful and educational day when I was invited with a group of bloggers to visit P. Allen Smith's Garden Home at Moss Mountain Farm for the inaugural Bean2Blog event. The purpose of the event was to learn about soybean farming, the impact it has on the state economy, and the multiple uses of soy, but the added perk of the event was a personal home and garden tour by P. Allen Smith himself. In this post I want to share some of my home tour pictures with you. I am an amateur photographer, so my pictures do not do justice to the loveliness that I saw.




The house is only about four years old, but it looks like it has
belonged to this farm for a much longer time. The farm itself
dates back to the 1840's and is more than 500 acres. 
The house was built in the Greek revival style
with some contemporary touches in the decor.
A massive post oak tree
that is more than 300 years old
 adorns the front yard,
and the Arkansas River graces the view in the back.



This is one of the urns by the front door with geraniums
that perfectly matched the color of the furniture  on the porch. 
This welcoming entry invited us to come inside and make ourselves at home.



A sunny kitchen window and fresh eggs. We later saw the chickens!



I wouldn't mind doing the dishes with this lovely view over the kitchen sink.



The kitchen countertops and island were a pristine white and gray granite,
and the cabinets were white. I believe I could have stepped into that kitchen,
found everything I needed,
and felt right at home cooking there.



The large island made a beautiful centerpiece for the kitchen.
Some of the other bloggers, like me, were quite drawn to the kitchen.



A beautiful area in the entryway near the staircase.



Another entryway shot.


Painting of an Osage Indian Chief named Black Dog who represented
his people in treaties with the U.S. government.
History records that he was over 7 feet tall and weighed around 300 pounds.
Allen shared that he had this image done from a postcard
that he had kept since he was a boy.


Prints of Indian chiefs hung in the stairwell. These chiefs were all
treaty representatives to Washington.
Allen does a great informal history lesson while conducting the house tour!


The bedrooms were all beautifully and comfortably furnished.
This is a shot of a guest room. 
There was an entire floor devoted to children's rooms,
with accommodations from a crib to furnishings for older children.
Allen is prepared for guests of any age!




The porches on the back were spacious and comfortable. 
This one had several comfortable areas for entertaining friends.



The uppermost porch was a "sleeping porch." It would be a wonderful place 
to read or nap or spend a dreamy summer night.


A comfortable sitting area on the sleeping porch.




This is the view from one of the upper porches on the back of the house. 
The Arkansas River can be seen in the distance.
Not seen in this picture is the separate summer kitchen 
off to the right and the studio to the left, and the gardens surrounding.

Much of the filming for the PBS series P. Allen Smith Garden Home 
and Garden to Table is done here at Moss Mountain Farm.
There is information regarding group tours on the P. Allen Smith website.

Allen has taken the natural beauty of this farm and
added his own special touches
to create a unique place that seems to have everything
a person could want or need right here on one spot.

In a later post I'll highlight those remarkable gardens.
There is just too much from the tour to include it all in one post!

8 comments:

  1. How nice for you to be able to go tour the farm and house! Your pics were great Anita. Looking forward to the garden ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun tour, Anita!! Lucky you! I look forward to seeing the garden posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What awesome photos! Can't wait for the others! Thanks for sharing this experience with us Anita!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea Arkansas was so lovely. Makes me want to visit, great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a house and beautiful Pictures; I especially love the lemon yellow kitchen. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, thank you so much for sharing your photos. You know how much I adore that man and his talent. I had never seen the kitchen before....LOVE that window for sure! What a view! Were the Osage Indians part of Arkansas history? I remember reading some of it but can't remember if the Osage were part of it. I know the Trail of Tears ran through here. So interesting....all of it! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love P. Allen Smith's home! Of course, I've only seen it on TV!!! Thanks for following my blog! I'm now your newest follower and am off to look at your Cheesy Potluck Potatoes! ~ Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. you lucky lucky girl I watched him build this on public television it was amazing your pics are beautiful thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete