Friday, January 11, 2013

A "Girly" Fleece Scarf

I suppose you could call me cold-blooded when it comes to my reaction to winter weather. I always long for sunshine and springtime throughout the cold winter season. One thing that helps me cope with the cold, windy weather here in northern Arkansas during January is a nice cuddly fleece scarf. I made one today that even someone with little sewing experience could make with success.






To make this soft, feminine scarf, you need to buy 1/3 yard of fleece. 



Fleece usually has curled up selvedge edges, so I start by trimming those off. Then to make the scarf, cut two pieces 6 inches wide by 60 inches long.



Lay the two pieces together, one on top of the other, and machine stitch right down the center, lengthwise. Stitch again about 1/2 inch away either side of the center seam. That's all the sewing that is required.


To make the fringe, cut almost to the stitching on both sides, being careful not to cut into the stitching. You can make the fringe the width you like, somewhere between 1/2 inch to 1-inch is pretty standard for fleece fringe.


This scarf looks different when made in different colors and patterns. You might even use two different colors of fleece for a multicolored look. These scarves are easy to sew and warm to wear, and they make a fun wardrobe addition.

If you like the cozy feel of fleece as much as I do, check out some of my previous fleece projects:
Just Add Popcorn
A Pull Thru Fleece Scarf
A Scarf With Wooden Beads


8 comments:

  1. What a cute scarf, Anita! I love it and its so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out so cute! I have 4 little granddaughters that would love it in bright neon colors, what length would you recommend for them. They are from 8 yrs to 4 yrs. Thank you for your help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I think this kind of scarf would be really cute for your little granddaughters! I haven't made them in a child size, but I think about 36 inches would be about right. You might want to use a tape measure to see how far down that would come on the smallest one. Best of luck, I know your girls will look adorable in their scarves!

      Delete
  3. thank you for the tutorial :)

    Blessings,Renee'

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is adorable! I am a big fan of black & white too! Good thing you live far away or I'd have to borrow *steal* it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute Anita, Mr. Dick and I just got homemade fleece blankets for Christmas gifts and they are so warm. You did a great job. And easy that's the fun part. Andi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visiting via Stitchin by the Lake. I love your scarf. I may give this a shot. You make it look easy.

    ReplyDelete