Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Honey Tea Bread

This is a recipe for a wonderful tea bread that I found in my Bob's Red Mill Baking Book, and it is full of healthy ingredients and good taste. It has a nutty flavor from wheat germ, a richness from Irish breakfast tea, and a gentle sweetness from honey.








Recipe adapted from Bob's Red Mill Baking Book 2006

Honey Tea Bread

1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup brewed tea
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray, then line with parchment paper; spray paper lightly. 
In a small bowl, whisk together both flours, wheat germ, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and baking powder. In a larger bowl, combine milk, honey, tea, oil, and egg; beat together until blended. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredient mixture 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until tester comes out clean. Let the bread rest in the pan for a few minutes, then remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. Makes one loaf.


This bread is very flavorful from the wonderful mix of spices and other ingredients. Two of the key flavor ingredients are the wheat germ and the tea.


Although some may consider this an extra step, I used both cooking spray and parchment paper in the bottom of my loaf pan for this quick bread. It was so easy to lift the loaf right out of the pan.


Cool the loaf on a wire rack before slicing.


This would be a tasty bread to bake and give as a gift.


Or you might just like to invite a friend over to enjoy it with you.

8 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I love homemade bread!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm this would be perfect with a cup of Irish tea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this, I think I will have to try it. Thanks for sharing. cass-eats.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds mmm, mmm. I like that it's healthy, too.

    We may have met by chance...but we become friends by choice.
    http://simpleesue.com/try-one-new-recipe-a-week-soup-kitchen-recipes-award-winning-loaded-potato-soup

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious and perhaps adaptable to a gluten free version!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anita,
    I just love this Tea Bread. Your recipe is awesome and thank you so much for sharing it with Full Plate Thursday.
    Have a great weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of tea bread! This sounds so good. I think you may have inspired me to make some bread. ;) I also wanted to say that I LOVE your blog's background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting! I love quick breads...and having your tea wrapped up in it? Sounds great. Love your photo too.

    ReplyDelete