5/15/13

Gingerbread Bundt Cake

Ginger has long been touted to be an effective anti-inflammatory and most recently has been shown in studies to also relieve arthritis pain. Because I celebrated yet another birthday this week, I thought it only fitting that I bake something with a little ginger added, considering my age and all.  I wanted a birthday cake, but I didn't want to go to a whole lot of trouble, and I didn't want anything too sweet. I like a plain cake that goes with coffee or tea, so I baked a Gingerbread Bundt Cake using a yellow cake mix for the big occasion this year.





Gingerbread Bundt Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup molasses
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a Bundt pan with cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil, molasses, eggs, ginger, cinnamon, and lemon extract. Beat at low speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 35 minutes, or until cake tests done. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan and garnish with powdered sugar and lemon zest, if desired.




Some of the extras to add to the yellow cake mix are molasses, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, and lemon extract.


This cake is simple, not too sweet, but with a bold flavor.


I don't know if Gingerbread Bundt Cake can give me a pain-free day, but the cake was good and the birthday was happy!


3 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, dear Anita!! I hope you had a blessed day. The cake looks and sounds wonderful. I love a spicy cake and this would be right up my alley. May you have a fabulous week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had a wonderful birthday! This cake sounds and looks so yummy! I could eat the whole cake if it would relieve my arthritis pain, but then I would have other problems! Thank you for the recipe.
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds so good and I do love gingerbread....
    Happy late Birthday..
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete