6/5/13

Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Filling

Simple chocolate cupcakes get bumped up a few notches with the addition of a luscious cream filling and chocolate buttercream frosting. I baked my cupcakes from a box mix to save some time today, but a home made version would be great too. The cream filling recipe is borrowed from Taste of Home, and I topped them off with my favorite chocolate frosting, a yummy buttercream made with cream cheese.


Print Recipe

Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Filling

1 regular-sized box chocolate cake mix (I used milk chocolate)

Prepare and bake cupcakes according to package directions. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.

Cream Filling

2 teaspoons hot water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a small bowl, combine water and salt, stir until salt is dissolved. Set aside to cool. In a mixing bowl, beat the marshmallow creme, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla together until fluffy. Add salt mixture, beat until light and fluffy. Use a round pastry tip to fill cupcakes with the cream filling. (I used tip #230).



Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup cocoa powder
6 cups powdered sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk or cream

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add cocoa, powdered sugar, and vanilla, beat until smooth. Beat in the milk or cream. Frost tops of filled cupcakes. Store cupcakes in refrigerator. 






Insert the pastry tip into the cupcake to pipe in the cream filling.


Frost the cupcakes with the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting. I used pastry tip #4B for these.

10 comments:

  1. Anita, these look amazing. I must have one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need one. Look wonderful Love cupcakes mix or not. Andi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm....chocolate with a creamy filling and delicious chocolate frosting...oh my! I'd like one right now for breakfast!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so YUMMY! Thanks for the recipe!
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm. Excuse me while I wipe the drool off. Found you over on The Country Cook's linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cupcakes look awesome, Anita! Thanks for sharing and hope you are having a great weekend.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so pretty and they look absolutely delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing. Creme filling in a cupcake is one of my comfort foods.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My friends are always like HOW DID YOU DO THAT when I make a filled cupcake. It's fun to feel like a legit pastry chef for a second.

    ReplyDelete