9/25/13

A Little Help From My Friends

Earlier this month Arkansas Women Bloggers converged at Ferncliff Camp in Little Rock for AWBU 2013 Conference. I was preregistered and totally excited to be going, after all, the keynote speaker was Sophie Hudson, alias Boo Mama, author of A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet.

But, darn it, things don't always go as planned. Just before the big day I got a strange ailment that caused my right foot to swell up and feel like it was broken. But x-rays didn't show any broken bones, so the doctor decided to treat me for the good old-fashioned gout. My ailing foot continued to be too tender to drive the three hours to the conference, and quite frankly I was a little embarrassed to go anyway sporting such an unattractive limp. I put my puffy foot up on the ottoman and poutingly stayed home, missing out on all the fun.


There's one thing I didn't miss out on though, thanks to some special friends - my conference T-shirt. A dear blogging friend, Amanda Jane Brown, went above and beyond to be sure I got my T-shirt. I've only met Amanda one time, last year at a band concert in Little Rock, but I have known her through the blogging world for the past two years. Amanda previously lived in Little Rock, but now is a Mississippi blogger. She was attending the AWBU conference, and I emailed her to see if she might be able to snag my T-shirt while she was there. I wasn't sure exactly how I would get it from her, but I knew we had some common acquaintances. Amanda not only grabbed my shirt for me, she then delivered it to a mutual friend, Joely, in Little Rock before she left town, who passed it on to my daughter to hang on to for me. Long story, but last weekend I was able to pick up my AWBU 2013 T-shirt thanks to Amanda.



I know it was a busy weekend for Amanda, but she was willing to go the extra mile, and it helped to ease my disappointment of not being able to attend the conference I had looked forward to for months. The T-shirt was passed from Amanda to Joely to Angela to me, but I also feel that a special bloggy friendship was passed along with it. My gimpy foot has improved considerably, and I think you could even say I'm "back in the saddle" and looking forward to next year's conference.

8 comments:

  1. I was disappointed you weren't there. I was hoping to meet you live and in person! I enjoy your blog. Glad you got one of the cute shirts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so disappointed too! Hope we can meet up next time!

      Delete
  2. So sorry to have missed you! I hope your foot continues to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gina! I'm walking with almost no limp now, doing lots better!

      Delete
  3. Oh how sad, Anita, but how sweet that your friend passed on the shirt for you. You look so cute in the saddle and I hope your foot is completely well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you missed the conference but what a cool story about friendship! Jamie from Jamie's Thots (can't get my Google account to show up right)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a shame you missed it Anita. But how wonderful for lovely friends.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I am totally not the lamest friend just now commenting on this sweet post!! Forgive me:)!! I was so happy to bring the shirt to Joely for you, I just hate that you couldn't be there in person:(. It was a very bittersweet weekend for me...such great company at the conference but my heart was breaking in a million pieces leaving Arkansas the very next day. Sure hope you are feeling back to normal, and let's stay in touch. Love and hugs, Amanda

    ReplyDelete