Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Shamrock Plant for Good Luck

A houseplant that I've had very good luck growing is the Shamrock Plant (Oxalis). This pretty plant likes a window with indirect sunlight and only needs watering about once a week. I've had my Shamrock Plant for 2 years, and it has outgrown its small original pot and now occupies a large floor-sized pot.


The Shamrock Plant gets it name because the leaves look much like a clover plant or "shamrock." These plants come in greens, purples, reds, or in different combinations of the colors.


My Shamrock Plant has green leaves with purple undersides.


Shamrock Plants also produce delicate flowers, like this white one from my plant. Other types of Shamrock Plants may grow pink, yellow, or red blossoms.





One thing that I find very interesting about my Shamrock Plant is that is goes to "sleep" at night by folding up its leaves. When I first got my Shamrock Plant I didn't understand this, and I thought something was wrong with the plant, but this is just a normal process. The leaves open up in light, but they fold up at night when it gets dark.

This would be the perfect plant to give as a good luck gift to someone for any occasion because of the association of the shamrock with luck. Mine has been easy to take care of, has grown quickly, and is very colorful. With a plant like this one, a person can keep good luck growing all the time.



"May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow,
And may trouble avoid you wherever you go."
                                                                                                      --Irish blessing



2 comments:

  1. They are nice plants, we had one at the office and enjoyed the blooms. Happy St. Patty's Day Anita:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn, and Happy St. Patrick's Day to you as well! I thought these plants might be picky since the stems are so small and delicate, but they are actually a hardy plant and easy to care for.

      Delete