6/24/15

Soft Sugar Cookies

I remember when my Grandmother Clark (I called her Mommy) baked big, soft sugar cookies. A trip to her house almost always meant a treat from her cookie jar. Sometimes she made oatmeal cookies, but often her cookie jar was filled with soft, delicious sugar cookies. She lived in a time of few conveniences, but she still managed to find time to keep that cookie jar filled.

I don't get cookies like Mommy's too often any more, but this recipe reminds me so much of hers. She made hers plain with no icing, but I have added icing and sprinkles on these for my Grandson. There are many cookies he is unable to eat because of his nut allergy. I omitted the almond extract in these to make them suitable for him. He thought they were wonderful. Like me, he's a fan of soft cookies, and I hope some day he'll have good memories of Grams and her sugar cookies.








Soft Sugar Cookies

1 cup sugar
1 cup salted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract, optional
1 egg
1 tablespoon vanilla yogurt
2 1/3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking pan by lining with parchment paper. In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter (can use mixer). Add vanilla extract, almond extract, egg, and yogurt. Whisk flour and baking soda together, then add to creamed mixture, mix well. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared pan. Can be flattened slightly with glass dipped in sugar for plain cookies or baked plain if using icing. Bake for 9 - 11 minutes.  Cool on pan for 5 minutes, then remove to wire rack to continue cooling. Let cool completely before icing.





I think the most important thing when baking sugar cookies is not to over bake. During those last few minutes of baking time be sure to watch them carefully. Sugar cookies are not supposed to be browned when they come out of the oven.


<<<<<>>>>>

No comments:

Post a Comment